Website Hadlow College
A fantastic opportunity has arisen to join Kent College, Canterbury as an animal care and welfare apprentice. Kent College Farm, set in 50 acres of land, provides an exceptional resource for pupils to experience and appreciate the life of a working farm, with a wide variety of animals ranging from small pets to livestock and horses.
Moat Farm is a short walk from the main senior school campus and is open to all pupils from both the junior and senior schools. It also comprises of a riding school and arena, where pupils can learn to ride and to look after horses. The apprentice will have the opportunity to work alongside our farm team gaining experience in all areas of the farm.
Duties will include:
- To participate in the day to day animal care and handling
- Feeding the animals
- Livestock movement within the farm and transport to other locations
- Preparing and maintaining animal accommodation
- To attend all shows and events; including Kent Show, Ashford Show, Farm Open Days and Events
- Observe all legislative requirements as they relate to the workplace, especially HSAW and COSHH
- Adhere to and understand the ‘five freedoms’
- To be prepared to work alongside children in a school farm environment and Young Farmers Club
About the employer
Alongside the apprentice Standard in Animal Care & Welfare Level 2 you will also receive on the job training from your work colleagues and work based mentor.
Functional Skills English and maths will also be offered as part of your programme and will be necessary should you need to upskill in one or both of these areas.
1 day per week college attendance at Hadlow College CANTERBURY CAMPUS CT1 1TB will be required.
Animal Care and Welfare Assistant
Closing date for applications: 31 August 2019
For more information email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org